Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Truth Hurts

Pyzam Family Sticker Toy

I have a confession {or two, or a hundred} to make. My family is not perfect. Nor am I. In fact, we have bad days. Sometimes I am a bad mom. And sometimes my kids are bad kids {and hubby a bad hubby, you get it, right?}. Sometimes we eat cereal for dinner, surrounded by a messy house. Sometimes I let myself do what I want to do, instead of what my mommy list tells me to do. There are times when my doorbell or phone rings, and I don't answer. Every so often, I covet my neighbors/family members possessions. There are people that I know that I don't really care to ever talk to--they annoy me. If I feel overworked, used or abused, I complain {like, say, church callings}. Sometimes I look in the mirror and wish I looked like anybody else. I don't get up at 6 a.m. like all the good mommies do. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Many of you have commented about how this little blogworld we live in seems to paint everybody in a better than realistic light. We sit to post and everything comes out 10 times better than it actually was/is. My friend Angie said in her last post that honesty in blogging is very important to her. I couldn't agree more. While I think it's great that we share all of life's greatest blessings with each other, I feel that it is profoundly important that we also be real, and share the sad, disappointing, boring and mundane realities that each of us face. That way, I don't feel like hanging myself after I read through my GoogleReader...

Some creative guy/girl out there decided that enough was enough with this little blog obsession. Check out this blog to see what some "outsiders" think of all of us bloggers. I guarantee you'll recognize several of your own little quirks/habits. It might make you think twice before you post anything. Also, you just might laugh so hard you'll pee a little.

Sidenote: My OCD is having a really difficult time allowing this post to remain. I tried and tried to get the whole border to appear around the family illustration. I almost deleted the whole thing, but I didn't want to come up with a new post. Because I'm lazy. I apologize that it looks so amateurish. I won't allow it to happen again. Unless I can't sleep over it tonight and I have it all changed by morning. I know, I have problems.

10 comments:

Mandee said...

My confession... sometimes I don't answer my phone or door either. And well, I do all the same stuff you do. Complain, wish I were someone else, feed my family cereal for dinner.

One time, I posted about how I felt like a crappy mom, and how hard it is raising step-kids, but Aaron made me take it down. Rude.

Thanks for keepin' it real. We really should be BFF's.

Mandee said...

That blog is awesome!

Anonymous said...

I voted that it is "bitter fat chick" I feel for her, especially the part about thinking positive and not throwing up. Yeah, right! Just go "nibble" on a few crackers before you get up in the morning. People that say that to someone who has morning sickness deserves a new nose job if you know what I mean. Hehehehehe good blog find Meg.

Wendy said...

LOL, You are not alone.....and we had cereal for dinner twice this week.

Mr. Belvedeere said...

ha, that blog is hilarious. at first i was reading it thinking "geesh, this is just like everybody else's blog, what's so special about that" and then i realized a "bitter fat chick" was writing it. classic.
about the door thing: we don't usually have visitors, but when we do it's the missionaries and rach usually doesn't answer either. maybe before we move to our next apt we will have a missionary tracker to make sure we're not 2 doors down from 'em.

Moira said...

Amen, hallelujah and praise the Lord!
Dido to all that you said...lol
Seriously...I think a lot of people wouldn't be on Prozac if everyone would just keep it real. So many people are trying to live up to expectations that aren't there. I have no problems saying no to church callings...I feel that I know what my limits are and I will not go over that as my family will pay for the that. My neighbors know not to come to my door if the blinds are closed. They usually open around 12p.m. Breakfast sometimes is the best dinner. I'd rather play with the kids then clean my house. Though I love my husband and kids...I don't always like them.
So here's to keeping it real. Congrats...I'm so proud of you..lol

Haguewood Family said...

Oh my gosh. That blog is funny. I usually only blog when I have something good to say. That is why I average a post about every 3 weeks. I will be better. My kids may be taken away though...

Seth said...

love it meg. its funny, if i am going to be totally truthful i don't mind my friends/family brag posts its when i start clicking around that i start saying, "i'm so sure".....i love the so seriously blog even though i can only take so much, even the fake stuff.

Seth said...

ps that was me, angie, not seth...you think your lazy, i'm not even going to change the user...

Craig and Jessica Smith said...

I love this post because it is so true. I think if everyone was keeping it real, blogs would be so different. I love your blog and you are such a great writer! We miss you!