The drama. It never ends. For Halloween, Shane and I dressed up for each other. He wore my Ute football jersey (and looked hot, by the way), and I wore his "Totally Invested" BYU fan t-shirt. And we both got a good laugh about it--because that's the way we roll. While we can argue about statistics and get all emotional about "fan feelings" during November, we mostly play into each other's hype. And we've dealt with it, mostly lovingly, for more than 10 years. And it's kind of fun.
A couple of weeks ago, at a family party, it was brought up around the dinner table that 2 family members (both men) have stated that they would never have married a Utah fan. Basically, either admitting their admiration for Shane and his ability to lower his standards, or trying to tell me that I'm not worthy enough to be part of a "BYU is better than Utah" family. Niiicce! What do you say at that point?
Wait, it gets worse. Shane tried to lighten things up a bit by saying that he was more than willing to dress himself as a Ute, because it probably meant that he would get lucky (did I mention how good looking that jersey was on him?). I laughed, as did a few others. But, and I'm dead serious, another family member adds "I would rather NOT get lucky than have to wear that". And that just made me sad for his wife.
I mean, seriously? SERIOUSLY? Closed-minded much? Can it really be that bad?
Now, really. I hate BYU football. Let's just state that for the record (as if you didn't already know). And I suppose that most BYU football fans hate my team. But why do we have to hate each other as fans? It's so ridiculous. And I'll be the first to admit that some BYU fans are my least favorite people in the world. But there are other Cougar fans who are my most favorite people. The difference? The way you carry yourself. If you can have a conversation without bashing, I will listen. What I won't listen to is you telling me how your team is better because you won a championship in 1984, and because more people go to your games. Also, I will not listen to you talk sports if I know that you never watch a minute of football. These girls (and, okay, some guys) who are "fans" of their husband's/dad's team, just because, but don't know a thing about what's going on is comical. It's a waste of my time and frankly just ticks me off.
The truth is, we've both had our years where our team is better. And it will continue that way until the end of football. And when it's not your year, it's painful. I understand that, trust me. But don't be a hater of someone who is enjoying the ride. Get over it! I will cheer as hard as I can for my Utes, you cheer as loud as you want for your Cougars.
And instead of asking my husband "how can you be married to a Ute fan", just tell me to my face that you can't stand me. I'll respect you alot more that way!
Go Utes! Beat TCU!
5 comments:
Holy crap. That is worse than my family drama... and believe me, we have drama.
I'm sorry. Let's meet at Kneaders and make it all better. I'll buy you an eclair!
Well, you are better than me then...I am one of those who doesn't give a crap about the sport or the team, I just like to see the BYU FANS lose. That's the main event for me :)
Go UTES! Or whoever is playing BYU!
I wonder....If we had no football, no school rivalrys...would we have World Peas?
First of all, I'm hoping to be on "your most favorite people" list...lol
Second of all...How the heck did you refrain from whooping some SERIOUS butt? I would've been all over that. How sad for their wives. Didn't they stand up for themselves?...Geez!!! I like sports....but I love my spouse more. And believe you me, the feeling is mutual on his end...OR ELSE....lol
That has got to be the stupidest I've ever heard. Sounds like someone really needs to get a life. Next time they say something stupid like that...just whack them up side their empty head, will ya?....lol
Sheesh!!! That's all. Just, Sheesh!!!
Post a Comment